Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mind control

Just saw a trailer for a movie called "Limitless".  Don't know if it's good or bad or anything about it, except that in the movie this clown can take a drug that allows him to use 100% of his brain.  And dominate mentally.

Uhh, are there any experimental tests going on with this drug?  Phizer?  Watson?  Anyone got some of that in the pipe?  Sign me up, seriously.  Really don't care about anal leakage, depression, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, asthma, quacking like a duck or spontaneous combustion.  Just get that in my hands and watch out.

Does anyone else care about this?  And I don't mean for money either.  Sometimes I get to the end of my mental rope and it's frustrating.  What if you didn't have to take ten years of quantum physics to just get it?  Like, if you could look at the heiroglyphs that they call equations and know immediately what the graph looks like just with computational power?  Or make a model of extra dimensions on a whim?  At this point, I can only draw crude analogies and hope for the best, and inevitably give up.

I guess the downside would be not having anyone to talk to about interesting stuff that you derived while taking a leak.  I have enough of a tough time now.  But if a person were inclined to be entertained by their own thoughts, then this would be phenomenal.  Any idea what kind of stuff a person could play on the piano with a skill like that?  Unreal.

Just kinda outing myself as a really big nerd here, but to this point the superpower I wanted has been the force.  And not just any force, the dark side.  After all, if one wants to be a wise leader, they should embrace a larger view of the force.  Duh.  But I don't know now.  I think if you could use your whole brain, then moving stuff with your mind would probably be a snap.  You could probably outsmart people into choking themselves anyway.  The lightning would probably be the decider.  I forgot, I just need to get my hands on some powerthirst and the lightning is covered.

So I probably won't see the movie, but I've spent an hour thinking about what it would be like with infinite mental powers.  Am I the only one?  It's not just philosophers that want knowledge, is it?

Ooh!  I almost bagged it there, but the thinking is the fun part for me.  If I knew everything, then that might take some of the fun out of it.  Ok, the pill is coming a distant second to darkside force powers.  Lightning and having things occur according to one's own design is still on top.  Just call the mental hospital now.  I'll go quietly.

2 comments:

Peter Anderson said...

well played. saw the same trailer and immediately got the same brain-boner thinking about the possibilities... theyd be limitless. i guess thats a good title they settled on..

Cwatts said...

Didn't take you long to hop in the gutter with me. And I'm glad. I think maybe just like quadrupling the IQ rather than really knowing everything.