Saturday, June 9, 2012

Objects on map appear closer than they are

Last night I put another one in the books for tenacious night watch.  And couldn't sleep after shift.  At all.  This has been going on for three days.  I have around four hours total sleep in the last three days.  I'm gonna come crashing down like Wile E. Coyote here in a few hours when I get off.  I hope.  I'd love to get a solid, don't know where you are or what time it is when you wake up ten hours of sleep.  Just waking up and going to the bathroom for five minutes because you came out of a coma.

But that's beside the point.  After not being able to sleep and seeing that it was nine am already I decided to take care of a few things before sleeping.  It really wouldn't do to try to tackle anything after sleep but before four when I'm supposed to come on.  So I'm sitting here at the old confuser looking up radio shack online to see where they are and when they open.  I needed a cable to go from the computer to the piano.  I took a little peak and lo and behold there is one just a couple blocks away.  Riiiiiigghhht. 

I'd considered taking a cab.  But cabs can be a bit pricey and for sure a walk wouldn't kill me.  Or so I thought.  I started trudging along.  I was weary from lack of sleep.  It hit me about a half mile in that I hadn't had any rest.  But then I thought about Rambo low crawling through the muck and eating things that would make a billy goat puke.  One foot in front of the other.  For many in the city this would be morning exercise.  For me it was an incursion behind enemy lines.  It was one man, betrayed by technology that he loved, on a mission of justice and a slim hope for peace.

About two miles into this operation I got to the fork in the road where I crossed the street to enter...Queen Ann.  It may be art imitating life or vice versa.  But there are a lot of guys holding hands in the Queen Ann area.  Well, I had to sprint the last half of the busy street because the light was changing.  I saw the imposing hill in front of me and decided, for what reason I'll never be certain, to run up the hill.  If you haven't been to Seattle, it's about as hilly as San Francisco.  Hmm...  Anyway, this was a serious hill.  I can quantify neither the grade nor distance except in beats per minute of my heart.By the time I got to the top, I was on the edge of a pulmonary meltdown.  Total anerobic gridlock. 

I oriented myself and walked the remaining mile to radio shack.  I realized, quite belatedly, that the map made the trip seem way easier than it was.  The guy at radio shack was a conversational guy, so I mentioned that I walked from pier 90.  He said, "You did what?  That's pretty far man."  I didn't mention that I ran up the hill.

So that was thrilling.  I feel like crap right now because I'm tired.  Not sleepy tired, but borderline shut down tired.  Like maybe some vital functions are gonna start prioritizing what's most necessary in my body.  But I have a stateroom.  I'll enjoy its luxury after completing my work in the parlor.  The piano is collecting dust today.  I did see two of the sweetest budget films since Space Mutiny though.  Future Force and Future Zone.  Both with David Carradine.  Both awesomely bad.

No comments: