Monday, May 14, 2012

My first love

I knew it was gonna come to this.  I'm staying on the Katie Ann.  It's hard to turn your back on your first love.  So I'm the night watch guy for ship yard.  It's not bad.  But it can be boring.  I was all alone on the ghost ship on mother's day and feeling a little down.  I felt all alone and without purpose.  I wished I could call my mom.  I wished I could hear her tell me it would all be ok.  I wished I could reach out to anyone.    Perhaps there were people I could reach out to.  I was too afraid to expose myself.

But here I am.  And I was reminded that I was here for a reason by my cousin Jeremy.  I didn't fully receive it that day.  But the fact remains.  I am here for a reason.  And it will work out.  I think once there are people here and work to do I'll pick it up.  Once we hit the sea, I'll feel close to my maker again.  For now, I need to get into a rhythm of shipyard.  To tell the truth, I'm just not sure about which direction I want to go with my promotion.  Going on deck has it's benefits.  The main one is being outside, at least for the short term.  The long term benefit is that on any boat that goes on the sea, there is a position on deck.  And on deck you get sea time, a kind of odometer for how much you've done on a boat and beneficial for when you look to get a job on another boat.

The other way to go is in the factory.  The first gig would probably be quality control, or QC.  Then you get into foreman or factory manager positions.  Going this direction, there isn't a whole lot of cross over benefit except in the fishing industry.  But there are plenty of fishing boats.  I haven't made any decisions yet.  But I will have to do so pretty soon if I want to leave the basic processing behind me. 

I'm not sure which way to go yet, but I am certain that the best course of action is to do a good job at whatever it is I am doing when I am doing it.  So, I'll continue to get good evaluations and keep my ear to the ground.  The sea is calling me and I can see myself turning salty and making a career of boating.  Again, I thank Rich for the introduction and support.  We'll see what happens.  And there is always the movie I am going to write.  It seriously has to be done.  There is a whole side to life that exests exclusively on the high seas that must be shared with the world.

No comments: