Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter

Happy Easter.  Easter on the Katie Ann is spent on stand by.  Waiting for fish.  I'm sure it's normal, but my optimism is waning.  If we are working, I wish we'd go on standby.  If we are on stand by, I wish we were working.  I think it boils down to this:  Most of the time I wish I were somewhere else.  And there is a new observer on this trip.  It's a young woman.  That's all I'm gonna say about that.  Almost.  Remember the movie Major League?  When Cerrano has his voodoo doll out with the rum and Harris is like "I wouldn't leave that rum laying around with this group."?  Ya, well it's a similar situation here.  Stay in the Key crew galley.  For safety.  Just like drinking the rum, it would be 'very bad' to drink of this cup.

But that's just an incidental little detail.  More importantly, many are getting restless.  I snapped on one of the QCs yesterday.  That's quality control for those who don't know.  We don't have to get into it.  Probably wasn't the best thing to say.  Many are away from their families on this Easter.  I feel for them.  I don't have a family anymore.  That's equally upsetting, if not more so.  I have some buddies who I can't wait to see.  I can't wait to get behind the wheel of the Elco.  I can't wait for some California weather.  I can't wait for nothing to do but have a beer or six.  And I don't even drink much.  Happy Easter.  He is risen.  How can we not be optimistic when we are redeemed?

No comments: